Normanhurst West Community Preschool Philosophy
Our Preschool provides:
- A play-based curriculum which can evolve and respond to the interests of each child
- A warm, friendly and child safe environment with a flexible routine which allows children to feel secure in their ability to learn and play.
- A holistic approach that provides the foundation of learning not only in readiness for the transition to school, but in preparation for life
- An introduction to literacy and numeracy using fun, non-confrontational activities building a foundation of learning
- Opportunities that promote positive social skills and encourage children to interact collaboratively and respectfully with each other
- A commitment to implementing the child safe standards across all aspects of preschool operation.
- A space for physical movement and opportunities to explore the natural environment
- Opportunities for children to develop a positive attitude towards being responsible and caring for the environment and an appreciation of environmental sustainability.
- A way to develop respectful relationships with children and their families in an environment that is supportive of open and meaningful communication.
- Aboriginal and Torre Strait Islander heritage is honoured and acknowledged, children are provided with opportunities to gain an understanding of their cultures and values.
We believe children:
- Are unique and valued individuals who develop in different areas at different rates and with different styles.
- Learn most effectively when they have developed a strong sense of wellbeing through trusting relationships and that play is essential to their learning
- Should be encouraged and supported in the pursuit of their learning, led by their interests and abilities
- Develop positive self-esteem by having the opportunity to experience and accept new challenges in a child safe and encouraging environment
- Have a range of experiences, challenges and beliefs that contribute to their understanding, empathy and acceptance of others without bias, regardless of their ability, gender, culture, family structure or economic status
- Deserve the right to learn and play in an inclusive safe environment, supporting the needs of all children and acknowledging the importance of early intervention and its positive impact on child outcomes.
We believe our educators will:
- Provide care and instruction that develops warm, positive and nurturing relationships
- Be supported in their ongoing learning and development
- Have access to current Preschool programming developments and innovative practice
- Build collaborative partnerships with the team, the families, the children and with professionals involved in each child’s learning journey to meet developmental outcomes.
- Is made up of diverse cultures, values, beliefs and practices which should be celebrated and reflected within the learning environment of the Preschool
- Enables our Preschool to run most effectively and ultimately flourish through volunteers who provide ongoing support and fundraising efforts, as well as the generosity of the wider community.